The 8th International Conference Buddhism & Australia
Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia Illustrations
|Articles by alphabetic order|
Padmasambhava Personal Deity Practice
|Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day|
Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru's Heart Mantra (108 times):
Padmasambhava Vajra Mudra : Cross the hands, with the right hand in front of the left so that they are back to back. Hook the two little fingers onto each other. Extend the index fingers so they point to the sky at an angle. Press the thumbs upon the middle and ring fingers of each hand respectively so that they clench. Hold the mudra at chest level.
Illustration of mudra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
- Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is red Sanskrit seed syllable「 」seh, emitting great pink light.
- The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into Padmasambhava. Padmasambhava's body is pink and he wears a jeweled crown. Sitting on a lotus moon disc, he holds a vajra scepter in his right hand, a trident vajra (three pronged staff) in the curve of his left elbow, and a nectar-and-jewels filled skull cup in his left hand.
- Visualize the nectar transform into a brilliant white light that travels in an arc to enter and empower one. This nectar eradicates all transgressions, illness, and demonic interferences, resulting in a state of great self-mastery.
Hold mala beads in front of the chest and move each bead with the thumb during chanting. Visualize the left hand transform into a vajra bell and the right hand into a vajra scepter. The mother bead or emblem transforms into the Many-Jewels Buddha's Stupa and the four divider beads transform into the Four Deva Kings. The tassel transforms into a lotus hand while the string threading through the beads transforms into a circle of inherent white light of Vajrasattva. During mantra chanting, when a bead is moved, visualize Padmasambhava appearing inside the bead and come to the forefront.
- 12. Entering Samadhi
Lian-shi zhong chi da-guang-ming,
Sui-qing sui-zhi da-zu-shi;
Guang-ming guan-zhu zhong-sheng xin,
Pu-ti da-xin heng hu-chi.
Padmasambhava, Great Lineage Guru, Chief Holder of Light,
You appear whenever called upon.
Instill light into our hearts
And eternally guard the mind of bodhicitta.
- 14. Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
- Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- 16. Dedication
May my great resolve to cultivate
Enable me to quickly attain the realization of Padmasambhava.
By becoming one with him,
I will help all beings arrive at the Buddha Realm.
May all who uphold the name of Amitabha Buddha
Be born together in the Pure Land of His Western Paradise.
Repaying the Fourfold Generosity from above,
And aiding those who suffer in the Three Paths below.
Upon seeing the Buddha,
May I be liberated from the cycle of birth and death,
And may I develop the qualities of Buddhahood,
And thus free all who suffer.
I, ________ (your name), dedicate the merits of this practice to the Root Guru. May the Root Guru always be healthy, remain in Samsara, never enter Nirvana, and forever turn the Dharma Wheel. May everyone be healthy, free of hindrances, strong in cultivation, and may all circumstances become auspicious.
May all supplications be completely fulfilled.
May all hindrances be removed. Wun!
(For a detailed explanation of this dedication, please refer to page 165 of A Complete and Detailed Exposition on the True Buddha Tantric Dharma.)
- 17. Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- 18. Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- 18. Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
Dismissal: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.