The 6th International Conference Buddhism & Australia
Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia Illustrations
|Articles by alphabetic order|
Poya-Uposatha-Observance Day Calendar for 2013
|Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day|
- January 26 Duruthu Poya day: Buddha first visit to Ceylon at Mahiyangana Stupa, which contains hair & collarbone relics.
- February 25 Navam Poya day: At this day Buddha ordains Sāriputta and MahāMoggallāna and later decides his Parinibbāna.
- March 26 Medin Poya day: Buddha visits parents home after Enlightenment, and ordains his son Rāhula, & half brother Nanda.
- April 25 Bak Poya day: Buddha's second visit to Ceylon, at Nagadipa close to Jaffna in the 5th year after his Enlightenment.
- May 24 Wesak: This Sacred Day celebrates the birth, Enlightenment, and passing away of the Blessed Buddha Gotama.
- June 23 Poson Poya day: Emperor Asoka's son, the Arahat Mahinda, introduces Buddhism to Ceylon in the 3rd century B.C.
- July 22 Esala Poya day: Buddha preaches 1st Sermon: Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta & performs the famous Twin Miracle.
- August 20 Nikini Poya day: Bhikkhus who did not enter the yearly rains retreat (Vassa) at Esala Poya, are allowed to enter now.
- September 19 Binara Poya day: Start of Bhikkhuni Sangha by the ordination of Queen Mahāpajāpatī; the Buddha's foster-mother.
- October 18 Vap Poya day: Marks the end of the Bhikkhu's three months rains retreat and begins Kathina month of giving robes.
- November 17 Il Poya day: Celebrates the Buddha Gotama's explanation of the next Buddha Metteyya & Breathing Meditation.
- December 16 Unduwap Poya: Arrival in Ceylon of a sapling of the sacred Bodhi-tree, brought by Arahat Theri Sanghamitta.