The 8th International Conference Buddhism & Australia
Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia Illustrations
|Articles by alphabetic order|
Seven Line Prayer
|Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day|
Chökyi Drakpa says:
- HUNG is an expression of magnetism and a skilful means to invoke the wisdom minds of the jñānasattvas.
- The place where the Precious Master took birth was in the northwest of the land of Oddiyana. There, in the Milky Lake, where the water has the eight qualities of purity, he was born in the form of an eight-year old child in the heart of a lotus flower. The King of Oddiyana found that he was endowed with the most marvellous attainments and invited him to his palace. As he had been born from the heart of a lotus, he became renowned as the 'Lotus Born'. At the time of his birth, he was surrounded by hosts of dakinis. Following in the footsteps of this wonderful master, vow to practise until you reach his level of realization. Pray that just as he arrived at the palace of the King of Oddiyana in the past, he may come now and inspire you with his blessing.
- GURU means master. PADMA signifies that he is an emanation of Amitabha, since Amitabha belongs to the buddha family of lotus speech. SIDDHI stands for the accomplishments, and HUNG for gathering. So altogether it means, 'Gather the accomplishments of the Lotus Master!'
Sogyal Rinpoche says:
- When you invoke Padmasambhava you can do so by chanting the ‘Seven-Line Prayer’, the prayer that is most commonly used in the Nyingma and Dzogchen traditions. “To this very prayer, you can give your whole mind, in devotion,” said Guru Rinpoche. He also said:
Mipham Rinpoche wrote: "This prayer in seven vajra lines is the most majestic of all prayers to the great and glorious one of Oddiyana, the essence of all the victorious ones of the three times. Arising as the inherent vibration of naturally occuring vajra sound, it constitutes a great treasure trove of blessings and spiritual attainments." In a hidden treasure teaching revealed by Jamgön Kongtrul, Padmasambhava says:
- Billions of wisdom dakinis joined, as of one voice,
- And in order to ensure the flourishing of the secret mantra teachings,
- In this world, the realm tamed by Shakyamuni,
- They invited me, with the melody of these seven lines.