| Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day
five types of vision: 五眼 (Jpn go-gen )
Also, five types of eyes.
Five kinds of perceptive faculty.
(1) the eye of ordinary people, also called the physical eye, which distinguishes color and form;
(2) the heavenly eye, also called the divine eye, which perceives things in the darkness, at a distance, or beyond the physical limits of obstruction;
(3) the wisdom eye, or the ability of those in the two vehicles to perceive that nothing has independent existence of its own and all phenomena are non-substantial;
(4) the Dharma eye, with which bodhisattvas perceive the nature of all teachings in order to save the people; and
(5) the Buddha eye, which perceives the true nature of life spanning past, present, and future.
The Buddha eye includes all the other four eyes, or perceptive faculties.
In other words, Buddhas possess all five types of vision.