| Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day
- See also Wikipedia:Habit (psychology)
a. A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition.
b. An established disposition of the mind or character.
2. Customary manner or practice: a person of ascetic habits.
3. An addiction, especially to a narcotic drug.
4. Physical constitution.
5. Characteristic appearance, form, or manner of growth, especially of a plant or crystal.
a. A distinctive dress or costume, especially of a religious order.
b. A riding habit.
These nouns denote patterns of behavior established by continual repetition. Habit applies to a behavior or practice so ingrained that it is often done without conscious thought: "Habit rules the unreflecting herd" (William Wordsworth).
1. a tendency or disposition to act in a particular way
2. established custom, usual practice, etc.
3. (Psychology) Psychol a learned behavioural response that has become associated with a particular situation, esp one frequently repeated
4. mental disposition or attitude a good working habit of mind
a. a practice or substance to which a person is addicted drink has become a habit with him
b. the state of being dependent on something, esp a drug
6. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Botany Zoology the method of growth, type of existence, behavior, or general appearance of a plant or animal a climbing habit a burrowing habit
7. (Clothing & Fashion) the customary apparel of a particular occupation, rank, etc., now esp the costume of a nun or monk
8. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called riding habit a woman's riding dress
9. (Chemistry) Crystallog short for crystal habit
1. (Clothing & Fashion) to clothe
2. an archaic word for inhabit, habituate