The 8th International Conference Buddhism & Australia
Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia Illustrations
|Articles by alphabetic order|
|Please consider making little donation to help us expand the encyclopedia Donate Enjoy your readings here and have a wonderful day|
Iddhi is a Buddhist term that refers to supernormal powers. These powers are physical, as opposed to Mental (knowing the minds of others, etc...). These iddhis are mentioned throughout the Pali canonical scripture.
- Multiplying the Body into many bodies, then collapsing it into one again
- Vanishing and appearing at will (invisibility)
- Passing through solid objects as if through space (intangibility)
- Rising and sinking in the ground as if in the water
- Walking on water as if on land
- Touching anything at any distance (e.g. the moon or sun)
- Traveling to other worlds (like the World of Brahma) with or without the Body
Buddha replied, "Why bother when the ferry fare is only one penny?"