1. Mahāvagga. A section of the Vinaya Pitaka, divided into chapters called Khandhakas. The introductory chapters give an account of the incidents immediately following the Buddha’s Enlightenment, leading up to the foundation of the Order of the Sangha. It then gives various rules for members of the Sangha, together with the circumstances which led to the formulation of each rule.
2. Mahāvagga. The second section of the Dīgha Nikāya, containing suttas XIV. XXIII.
3. Mahāvagga. The third section of the Sutta Nipāta, containing twelve suttas.
4. Mahāvagga. The first section of the Patisambhidāmagga.
6. Mahāvagga. The fifth section of the Samyutta Nikāya.
7. Mahāvagga. The seventh section of the Tika Nipāta, the twentieth of the Catukka, the sixth of the Chakka, the seventh of the Sattaka, the second of the Atthaka, and the third of the Dasaka Nipāta of the Anguttara Nikāya.
The ‘major section’ of the Vinaya.
See also Cullavagga.