Hri (Sanskrit, also hri; Pali: hiri; Tibetan Wylie: ngo tsha shes pa) is a Buddhist term translated as "self-respect" or "conscientiousness". It is defined as the attitude taking earnest care with regard to ones actions and refraining from non-virtuous actions. It is one of the virtuous mental factors within the Abhidharma teachings.
The Abhidharma-samuccaya states:
- What is hri? It is to avoid what is objectionable as far as I see it and its function is to provide a basis for refraining from non-virtuous actions.
- self-respect - Herbert Guenther, Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Rangjung Yeshe wiki
- conscientiousness - Erik Pema Kunsang
- moral self-dignity - Alexander Berzin
- sense of shame - Rangjung Yeshe wiki