Bhante Dhammika was born in Australia in 1951 into a Christian family. He converted to Buddhism at the age of 18. In 1973, he went to Thailand with the intention of becoming a monk . Subsequently, Bhante Dhammika went to Laos, Burma and finally to India. For the next three years, he traveled around India learning yoga and meditation. Eventually, Bhante Dhammika was ordained as a monk under Venerable Matiwella Sangharatna, the last disciple of Anagarika Dharmapala. In 1976 he went to Sri Lanka where he studied Pali at Sri Lanka Vidyalaya. He later became a co-founder and teacher of Nilambe Meditation Centre in Kandy. Since then, Bhante Dhammika has spent most of his time in Sri Lanka and Singapore.
Bhante Dhammika had written over twenty-five books and numerous articles on Buddhism and related subjects. He is also well known for his public lectures and for representing Theravada Buddhism at the European Buddhist Millennium Conference in Berlin in 2000. Apart from Buddhist philosophy and meditation, Bhante Dhammika has a deep interest in the historical topography of Buddhism and the phenomenon of Buddhist pilgrimage.
Good Question Good Answer
Bhante Dhammika is probably best known for being the author of Good Question Good Answer, an introductory guide to basic Buddhist teachings. First written in 1987, Good Question Good Answer has since been translated into over 31 languages. The book provides clear, thoughtful and lively answers to more than 140 commonly asked questions about Buddhism.
- All About Buddhism - published by BDMS
- Good Question, Good Answer - published by Sukhi Hotu Dhamma Publication (Also available as a ::BuddhaNet eBook)
- Matreceta's Hymn to the Buddha - published by BDMS
- Discover what the Buddha was like through his interactions with his contemporaries.
- The Edicts of King Asoka - published by BDMS
- Encounters with Buddhism - published by BDMS
- Sayings of the Buddha - published by BDMS
- Rahula Leads the Way - published by BDMS (Also available as a BuddhaNet eBook)
- A book for children with delightful full-colour illustrations - co-authored and illustrated by ::Susan Harmer.
- The life of the Buddha and related stories in full-colour cartoon format, co-authored and ::illustrated by Susan Harmer.