Six heavens of the desire realm
The Four Great Kings, along with their retinues, reside upon the fourth terrace of Mount Sumeru. Upon the lower terraces live, in descending order, the gods of the Ever-Ecstatic, Garland-Bearers, and Vessel-Bearers. The crests of the seven mountain ranges, the sun, the moon, and all the stars also belong to the abodes of the Four Great Kings.
The Buddha resided here until the time came to take rebirth in the human realm, and demonstrate the twelve deeds of the supreme nirmanakaya. Before passing from Tushita he prophisied the bodhisattva Maitreya's enlightenment as the buddha to follow him, and placed his crown on Maitreya's head, making him his regent. Maitreya will abide here until the time has come for him to demonstrate the twelve deeds.
Controlling Others' Emanations
- Skt. Parinirmitvashavartin; Tib. གཞན་འཕྲུལ་དབང་བྱེད་, Shyentrul Wang Jé; Wyl. gzhan 'phrul dbang byed
- Kangyur Rinpoche, Treasury of Precious Qualities
- Mipham Rinpoche, Gateway to Knowledge, Volume II
- Patrul Rinpoche, The Words of My Perfect Teacher
- Gampopa, The Jewel Ornament of Liberation
- Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Tayé, Myriad Worlds (Ithaca: Snow Lion, 1995), pages 115-119.